Global Head of Business Development – Corporate
We are currently recruiting for a Global Head of Business Development - Corporate to join our Marketing department in London.
Role context and purpose
Senior management position reporting into the CMO and the partners who co-lead the global corporate practice.
Responsible for working with the CMO and the practice to proactively develop and deliver a marketing strategy that improves business performance through a hugely improved market profile, improved engagement with key clients and enhanced approaches to targeting and winning new business. Ultimately responsible for delivering a market leading set of marketing, business development and communications activities throughout the year that add significant benefit to the business.
Manage the Global Corporate marketing and business development team proactively, to ensure that it is always fit for purpose, driving continuous improvement in department’s approach to the entire marketing mix. In addition, act as internal consultant to partners on individual business development plans, providing coaching or access to training, where required.
Play a key role in the CMO’s leadership team, ensuring the function is delivering best-in-class marketing activities and is operating optimally, at all times.
Marketing leadership team
Global Corporate Board
Heads of London Corporate Sub-Groups and Global Corporate partners
Global Corporate Department Marketing Team
Chief Operating Officer, Corporate
Role and responsibilities
- Work proactively with the Global Corporate management team to help them articulate the strategic direction of the practice, identify key priorities and lead on the development and implementation of the Global Corporate strategic and tactical plans.
- Proactively develop a global Corporate marketing plan and obtain buy-in from the Global Corporate management team to what is contained. Plan must be approved by the CMO and be kept as fit for purpose at all times. This plan will include a communications plan to position Allen & Overy as a top tier Corporate practice globally, brand enhancing thought leadership campaigns to demonstrate product and market insight, new business generation activity (pitches, proposals, credentials statements) executed to a high standard including market and competitor research and analysis, pitching activity, and the successful implementation of the firm's client relationship programme. Data should underpin all marketing and BD activity, to ensure that the activities are directed appropriately and that precise measurement of outcomes is established – the data being used should be constantly reviewed and ensured that it is fit for purpose.
- Provide wide ranging practice development input to discussions and actions arising from the Global Corporate Board.
- Proactively work with Corporate partners globally on marketing/business development issues and plans, inputting ideas and providing advice, establishing yourself as a trusted advisor. Be seen as the custodian of best practice in relation to the development of plans.
- Develop strong relationships with the rest of the marketing function to play a key role in the CMO’s leadership team. Also ensure that expertise is accessed effectively for the benefit of the Corporate department and that the department’s business objectives/priorities are communicated back to central marketing team to guide their area of focus.
- Provide strategic direction to the Global Corporate BD team, as well as day-to-day management responsibility, ensuring that the team is always operating as required.
- Responsible for the London BD budgets for Corporate, ensuring that all external marketing and business development activities are delivered in the most cost effective manner and within budget.
- Viewed as a subject matter expert and role model for all marketing matters by all those who interact with the role. This will include in relation to client interaction, setting a high performance culture and being the go to person for the practice globally on all marketing matters.
- Meet with clients regularly, whether formally as part of client relationship management or informally at firm events. Use this interaction to improve the firm’s relationship with the client, to identify opportunities and to improve the firm’s marketing.
- Act as an internal consultant to partners on marketing and business development. This will require the development of strong personal relationships with Corporate partners across the globe to facilitate the delivery of global projects.
- Contribute to training and development for lawyers in marketing and BD skills.
- Use internal communication channels effectively e.g corporate partner meetings/global corporate conferences, to create a culture where business development/marketing/client relationship management activity is seen as a priority for all.
- Keep current on all commercial and legal issues affecting the Corporate practice, such that partners see that the marketing team understand the practice to the extent required. Use this market knowledge to drive an ever-improving marketing mix.
- Senior marketing professional, with a strong marketing and business development background.
- Substantial relevant business development and marketing experience, likely to be within a professional or financial services organisation, notably marketing to a business audience and where the individual frequently worked directly with senior management. Previous Corporate marketing experience would be desirable.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global Corporate market/practice (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area).
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral. Experience in selling concepts and presenting up to senior executive/Board Level.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills - with partners, key associates, business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. This role is not about 'power'. It is suited to people who can, and like, achieving results through influence.
- Politically astute – can make tough decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and lawyers to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. A self-starter, with the energy and enthusiasm to be as proactive as possible at all times.
- Experience of managing and developing the careers of (senior) managers, executives and assistants.
- A proactive approach, creativity, tenacity and energy.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Professional in outlook, attitude and appearance.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure.
Who we are looking for
A senior level resource ultimately responsible for the successful delivery of marketing and business development advice to the Global Corporate department.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.