Chief of Staff
The global marketing, business development and communications team is a creative and talented group, ranging from senior client managers and communications experts, to brand and data gurus. They are a highly integrated, dynamic team, operating in a fast moving environment. Some of them shape the client strategy, whilst others create campaigns that reinforce our reputation for innovation. Some work with journalists, put on high-profile events, tell compelling stories, and tackle complex business issues. Together with our partners and lawyers, we define the client experience and shape the external perception of A&O around the globe.
Role outline / responsibilities
Work with the global chief marketing and communications officer (CMO) in defining and implementing the function’s agreed strategic and operational priorities. Priorities for the role will include proactive communication on key initiatives; assisting in aligning the budget to the agreed priorities; helping build and maintain a high-performance culture; and ensuring the department runs efficiently and effectively with appropriate governance in place.
The role is a great opportunity to be able to influence the group’s strategy whilst having plenty of opportunities to develop leadership capabilities
The priority focus of this role is to:
- Act as an executer, challenger and confidant to the CMO, supporting her in leading a strong global marketing function. Has a strategic mind and high emotional intelligence;
- Work with the CMO and her leadership team to define the function’s key priorities, ensuring progress on each is tracked and that they are delivering the required ROI - course correcting when necessary;
- Works with the CMO and her leadership team to implement a more rigorous approach to marketing planning across the entire function, ensuring that the plans both for the function as a whole and for key projects are fit for purpose, and then regularly reviewed and updated;
- Manages and supports the management of any large scale change, ensuring they deliver the efficiencies and ROI promised in the business plan;
- Develops a regular communication plan within the function (and supporting material), so that all of our people in Marketing are aware of the firm’s priorities and are clear on the role of Marketing in driving their implementation and generating ROI;
- Supports the CMO with the preparation of business cases, proposals and assistance with high impact presentations;
- Manages the marketing budget, liaising with project owners to track spend against budget and ensure no overruns;
- Lead focus groups or individual discussions across the function on how we should approach new challenges or opportunities;
- Set up (and Chair where necessary) departmental meetings, with the express objective of ensuring the function operates ‘best-in-class’ e.g understanding of priorities, staffing and budgeting issues;
- Works alongside the CMO to ensure the function’s admin is as per firm requirements – includes agendas, minutes of meetings, budgetary discipline, recruitment requests and other resourcing issues;
- Attend meetings on CMO’s behalf.
Marketing, Business Development and Communications
Function Heads/Senior Leadership
HR Business Partners
IT Relationship Managers
Competencies for success
The successful candidate:
- Excellent written and analytical skills, and able to prepare punchy to the point e-mails and high impact business plans/presentations;
- Able to resolve complex problems, taking a proactive approach to analysing the issues and generating solutions;
- Decisive and mature in judgement;
- Excellent leadership skills and able to influence, inspire confidence and build consensus at all levels;
- Track record of management capabilities and cross-cultural leadership;
- Track record of implementing change;
- Demonstrate strategic vision and understanding of how best to implement strategy;
- Have strong ambassadorial skills and ability to represent the Marketing function on a global basis;
- Thrive in a high-pressure environment and have a flexible approach to work and be able to cope with ambiguity;
- High level planning and strong project management skills;
- Highly responsive, organised and detail oriented, a team player, able to multi-task and prioritise tasks and deadlines and perform duties with high levels of confidentiality and integrity;
- Strong influencing skills and intellectual curiosity.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.