Business Development Executive - Corporate
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
- Are you a bright, ambitious BD professional?
- Do you have the ambition to work in one of the world’s leading law firms?
- Do you have an interest in Corporate?
Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, advising on high-profile and ground-breaking transactions around the globe. The firm provides clients with a professional service of the highest calibre, combining technical excellence with commercial awareness and a practical, constructive approach to legal issues.
We are looking for a bright, ambitious BD professional to join our team and support our Corporate practice.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued and we enjoy an open, friendly and supportive culture. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do which has enabled us to become a market leader. In addition, there are excellent benefits and facilities and a variety of opportunities to support and develop you in your role.
We are recruiting for a Business Development Executive to join the Corporate BD team. The Corporate BD team is part of the Business Development Department and the wider Business Services function based at the firm’s head office in London. The Business Development department is responsible for ensuring the highest quality BD services across the firm. It supports the firm’s initiatives across the full spectrum of BD activities – practice group support, client relationship management, pitching, events, communications, digital, research, and supporting relationships with overseas firms.
The Corporate BD team works closely with the Corporate Stream partners to support all business development activities including our client relationship management programme, client targeting initiatives, pitching, the production of credentials documents and client events. The Corporate BD team also operates as part of an integrated practice support function working closely with Professional Support Lawyers and colleagues in our Learning and Development team.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed. The role may require some working outside of our normal working hours of 9:30am to 5:30pm.
- Provide support to the team on their various BD initiatives
- Assist with the management of the firm’s Client Relationship Management programme
- Assist with the management and BD support on flagship and firm-wide client events and targeting initiatives
- Provide pitch support, assisting with the project management and drafting of pitches and proposals
- Monitor market, industry and competitor information and feed through to the Support Function/wider stakeholders
- Lead on Corporate directory and awards submissions
- Help to store and maintain deal and pitch information
- Maintain and update a number of the department’s key BD and marketing documents
- Manage the department’s CRM lists using the firm’s CRM tool, Microsoft Dynamics
- Responsible for identifying and collating materials for regular internal partner (and wider team) meetings
- Collaborate with the wider BD department, such as BD Research, Digital, Communications and Design to ensure knowledge-sharing and best practice
Candidates for this position should have:
- 1-2 years’ experience in a Business Development role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage and prioritise multiple tasks
- Enthusiastic and proactive
- Analytical approach to problem solving
- Confidence in their own opinion (and a willingness to express it)
- Understanding of how to effectively contribute to and be part of a cohesive team environment
- Strong skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proven ability to work within tight timeframes, keep calm under pressure, and deliver high quality work
- Willingness to work extended hours when required
In addition, the following skills are desirable:
- Knowledge of M&A, Equity Capital Markets and Private Equity transactions and terminology
- Experience of legal terminology, ideally gained from working for an international law firm
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displays the highest standard of professional ethics