Global Head of Business Development - Transport
- Job Role
- Business Development Director
The Global Head of Business Development - Transport, will lead the development of our Transport key industry sector, comprising three sub-sector groups: Aviation, Rail and Shipping, and working closely with lawyers and business development teams across Africa, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and the US.
The Global Head of Business Development - Transport will plan and lead incisive business and client development, marketing and communications tactics across our global Transport business, setting key objectives for the Transport sector business plan and ensuring that they are met.
The Senior Business Development Manager, Transport, reports to the Global Director of Corporate Communications and Marketing, and works closely with the Global Head of Transport, and six regional Heads of Transport.
Strategic planning and management
- Devise and deliver a practical global BD strategy and marketing plan for growing and developing this key strand of our business, focused on the business priorities of revenue generation, client development, profile development and opportunity realisation, drawing on client feedback and market opportunities
- Ensure that the objectives and activities of the Transport practice are aligned with those of the wider Firm, with an integrated approach taken to identifying and developing common opportunities and clients
- Manage the global budget process, including ensuring budget is appropriately allocated across the global Transport practice, evaluating efficiencies, tracking spend against budget allocation, measuring and reporting on return on investment
- Maintain and, where required, develop marketing and BD processes and infrastructure for the group to enable us to go to market efficiently and consistently. Consistent presentation of our global capabilities and open access to this information are key
- Has a well-established personal brand with both the Transport practice and the firm more widely, based on a deep strategic understanding of the business.
- Provide strategic support and coaching to relationship partners across Transport Enterprise and panel clients
- Connect the Transport practice with the Norton Rose Fulbright global key client programme and drive realisation of opportunities
- From marketing campaigns and thought leadership, ensure product development is relevant for developing client dialogue and targeting purposes
- Promote participation in client feedback programme; participate in Client Service Interviews, track and act on actions arising from interviews, assess how feedback can be used to grow the business.
- Design and oversee the delivery of marketing communications campaigns and thought leadership tactics which will drive brand recognition and growth
- Work with the communications teams and PR to develop our reputation for Transport work through collateral and press; events; bring innovation to our communications style and channel use
- Oversee submissions to and performance in legal directories
- Ensure the global Transport practice is brand compliant and adopts our Visual Identity
- Ensure all communications channels convey fresh, consistent messaging and capability presentation (including but not limited to web, collateral, bids, experience statements, directories, CVs).
- Oversee the project management of Transport bids; provide strategic input on approach, team formations; review and edit content where necessary; ensure adherence to branding requirements; ensure adherence to pricing procedures
- Oversee the development of high quality content for use in bids as boiler plate text, to convey positioning, experience and sales messages. Ensure, for consistent messaging and capability presentation, that this content is replicated in appropriate systems and all communications channels
- Track and facilitate panel opportunities
- Act as an ambassador for bid best practice to ensure understanding and compliance of bid process; bring focus on the content of bids through second-nature understanding and acceptance of bid process.
- Act as an ambassador for the Transport practice and the wider Firm, and as a key point of contact for the global Transport practice
- Encourage adherence to procedures and best practice with Norton Rose Fulbright systems including Bid Support, Experience Management and InterAction.
- Day-to-day management of an assigned global team, including two direct reports
- Seeks and implements continuous improvement which materially improves the work and performance of their team
- Sets the standard for all work undertaken by their team and ensures that this standard is consistently upheld.
Skills and Experience Required
- Genuine interest in the global Transport sector and a working knowledge of how the Transport sector operatesGraduate calibre with demonstrable and/or professionally recognised marketing or communications qualification (such as CIM, etc) or equivalent
- Significant amount (10 years+) of relevant business development and organisational experience
- Demonstrable experience in managing bids
- Experience of managing direct reports
- Understands when to act and when to ask
- Builds trust amongst fee earning team and wider stakeholder community
- Understands the need and has the ability to manage expectations
- Good attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience of working in a global legal and/or professional services environment
- Sound working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Our business principles are Quality, Unity, Integrity. The successful candidate will be expected consistently to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Shows technical ability
- Contributes effectively at meetings
- Seeks supervision and/or supervises appropriately
- Communicates effectively
- Organised and meets deadlines
- Focuses on performance enhancement
- Develops and maintains relationships
- Delivers excellent service
- Builds strong reputation
- Actively contributes to the team
- Demonstrates leadership orientation
- Treats people with dignity and respect
- Promotes and demonstrates our business principles
- Focuses on strategic priorities