Marketing and Business Development Manager
Based in our Newcastle Hub, the Business Development Manager (“BDM”) is a role within the Marketing & Business Development (“MBD”) function and the Europe, Middle East & Asia (“EMEA”) region at Norton Rose Fulbright.
This new role involves the management and development of our growing MBD team in the Hub to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of key services. The six-person team currently is focused on client pitches and legal directory submissions, and the BDM will work closely with relevant stakeholders to review the delivery of these tasks and to process map, consult on and lead the evolution of workstreams delivered from the Hub. They will be responsible for recruitment, training and development, and workflow management of the team.
The post holder will also have responsibility for supporting discrete practice areas in London. The day-to-day requirements range from business planning and client development, to winning work and raising the profile of our business.
The Business Development Manager will report to the Head of Business Development (London & Middle East), and will work in close cooperation with global MBD teams.
- Work closely with our HR team on recruitment for the Hub MBD team. This will require nurturing relationships with local recruiters, universities and other relevant networks.
- Line management of Newcastle-based team members, including providing ongoing training and development.
- Review current team workflow processes, make recommendations as to improvements and implement any necessary changes. This will require working with subject matter experts in the wider MBD team to ensure that work is being done according to best practice and is aligned with team, practice and regional objectives.
Growth of Hub services
- Work closely with the wider MBD team to identify, map and deliver new workstreams from the Hub, with a focus on where we can both create efficiencies and innovate. This will require semi-regular travel to London. Ensure that MBD is aligned with, and learning from, innovative approaches taken by the other business services teams based in the Hub.
- Act as an ambassador for the Hub team to the wider business.
Practice group support
- Work with relevant practice heads to develop and implement annual business plans, budget proposals and campaign plans for the EMEA region.
- Oversee BD activity to ensure regional objectives are met. This includes, but is not limited to, client development, profile raising, marketing and communications and pitching.
- Help drive and implement firm-wide and/or regional BD initiatives within allocated practices as appropriate.
- Lead engagement of the practice in our global and priority client programmes and drive the realisation of opportunities.
Skills and Experience Required
- Graduate calibre with demonstrable and/or professionally recognised marketing or communications qualification (such as CIM, etc)
- Minimum 5 year experience working in a legal and/or professional services environment
- Experience of line management
- Leadership ability - this candidate must be able to build a strong reputation within the business and deliver excellent service
- Strong written, editorial and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management skills - this candidate must be able to demonstrate experience of managing multiple projects and transforming a commercial issue into business development opportunity
- Demonstrable experience in managing and writing bids
- Confident, persuasive and assertive
- Excellent attention to detail
- Understands when to act and when to ask
- Experience of working with clients - ability to be client facing
- Understands the need and has the ability to manage expectations
- Sound working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Our business principles are Quality, Unity, Integrity. The successful candidate will be expected consistently to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Shows technical ability
- Communicates effectively
- Organised and meets deadlines
- Focuses on performance enhancement
- Develops and maintains relationships
- Focuses on strategic priorities
- Constantly finds ways to add value
- Treats people with dignity and respect
- Promotes and demonstrates our business principles