Divisional Business Development Manager
Divisional Business Development Manager
Department: Business Development
Reporting Line: Head of Bids/Divisional BD Lead
Location: Flexible (London/Manchester/Edinburgh/Glasgow)
AG Level: 3
Addleshaw Goddard is a premium, international business law firm. Our lawyers help many of the world's best-known brands - including over 40 FTSE100 companies - to protect their interests and make the most of business opportunities. We operate from 12 offices in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and focus heavily on industry sectors such as retail, energy, transport and financial services. We are the current Litigation Law Firm of the Year, Real Estate Law Firm of the Year and Private Equity Firm of the Year in the UK, are recognised as one of the most innovative firms in Europe and have enjoyed several consecutive years of growth. We have a modern, inclusive and approachable culture and are committed to providing an environment where people are developed and valued.
This role sits within the Business Development department, whose focus in on helping our expert partners and other lawyers to build our brand, communicate persuasively, win business and develop our client relationships. That has brought with it new opportunities for brilliant Business Development and Marketing talent who can help us to demonstrate the firm's quality, come up with imaginative ideas and deliver impact.
The BDM will sit within the central BD function providing support to the divisions.
A successful BDM understands their respective sector, its key market drivers and what this means for the firm and our clients. Our Sector BDMs are 'connectors', they identify and lead the direction of the sector and unite the respective parts of the firm around a common goal. Our Sector BDMs work closely with their fellow team members who have primary responsibility for the clients in that sector and together they ensure that we are capitalising on our strengths and achieving our ambitious plans for revenue growth. This is a varied and rewarding role that is dependent on building good relationships. Teamwork is key both across BD, with other Directorates (such as finance/Knowledge/PR etc.), across our offices and with the various practice groups.
This role will be based in one location with occasional travel to other UK offices, as required.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the Sector Heads to formulate/refine/update sector business plans, client targeting and conversion, driving greater cohesion and rigor across our offices and practice groups
- Responsibility for Client Relationship Management of between 2 and 5 Client Universe clients
- Lead relevant pitch opportunities / working with the bids teams where appropriate
- Taking responsibility for learning about the sector(both externally and internally), what our proposition is and what we want to achieve so that insights are shared and opportunities for cross-selling are a) identified b) publicised c) acted upon (e.g. finding the right teams/creating the best proposition) and d) measured
- Identifying and championing the 'hot topics' or areas of specialist knowledge we want to be known for/should be promoting through the year and the best format for that promotion (e.g. thought leadership/know how/partnering with other agencies etc)
- Responsibility for the design and management of campaigns/activities throughout the year. Planning follow-up activity, working within defined budgets and tracking return on investment
- Budget responsibility for the respective sectors
- Responsible for updating relevant internal and external sector content, including on AG's extranet and intranet sites, standard bid and pitch content etc.
- Responsibility for managing the content and preparation of the sector review documentation and ensuring actions are followed up
- General profile raising internally (e.g. internally at relevant meetings such as the sector reviews) and externally (at events etc.)
- Take steps to build a personal network within the firm and with relevant external bodies
Knowledge, skills and experience required (bespoke to role)
- Able to lead a virtual team and delegate to the most relevant individuals
- Work with specialist teams across BD, other Directorates and the practice to align support for specific projects (BD, client or sector specific)
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise workload according to business need to ensure completion against tight deadlines
- Competent communicator with confidence to interact professionally with all levels of seniority both internally and externally
- Relevant sector knowledge is a bonus but an ability to learn and an enthusiasm and passion to succeed is a necessity