Business Development Executive - Finance and Corporate
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Role: Business Development Executive - Finance and Corporate
Reporting to: Business Development Manager
Hours of work: Monday to Friday, 9:30 - 17:30, however you will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties.
Department/ Role Overview:
An opportunity has arisen to join our busy and dynamic Business Development team as a Business Development Executive with a particular emphasis on the Finance and Corporate practices. The candidate will provide high quality and pro-active business development support in a timely and professional manner. This role offers broad opportunities with a real mix of BD responsibilities, including pitching and will also see the successful applicant work across a number of initiatives and projects as determined by the business development function leaders.
Practice and Market leadership
- Supporting the delivery of the practice BD plans. This includes our go-to-market strategy and our approach to industry publications/briefings, alignment with industry bodies, prioritisation and organisation of practice/industry conferences, and events and thought leadership/profile raising initiatives.
- Proactively tracking client and practice news and trends, spotting revenue generation opportunities and working with the BD Manager to driving those opportunities to their ultimate conclusion.
- Supporting the Priority Client Programme by assisting on the implementation and delivery of priority client account plans and relationship agreement commitments.
- Assist the Partners in developing new business through pitching, including providing background research, collating information on the firm's experience and producing focused business proposals highlighting the team's expertise.
- Manage the production of pitches with great attention to detail and to agreed deadlines, collaborating effectively with the Bid team to create unique solutions tailored to the client.
- Provide practice, industry or client related input, as required, on other pitches across the Ashurst network.
- Maintaining BD systems to capture pitch metrics, our pitch win/loss ratio and reasons for success or otherwise across both practices – ensuring the completion of post pitch debriefs where possible, including acting on feedback to improve client service and win rate.
- Monitor market/industry trends to ensure that Ashurst's pitch capability keeps pace with competitors and takes advantage of new pitch techniques and technologies, and makes recommendations for change.
- Provide tactical and creative advice to Partners to help drive their marketing/BD efforts, regularly reviewing and reporting on progress versus objectives.
- Assist in the management of BD budgets, ensuring spend is aligned to business plans.
- Maintain a series of marketing materials (brochures, flyers etc), including writing content and liaising with the design and brand team as required.
- With the events team, plan and manage events of all descriptions, including client dinners and hospitality events, seminars and sponsorships from inception to completion, to ensure maximum stand-out and ROI.
- Proactively work with the PR team on media opportunities to boost the team's profile.
- Maintain key information systems such as CRM and intranet to share and capture strategic client relationship and deal information.
- Website maintenance, ensuring content is as up to date and relevant.
- Manage directory/league table/award submissions, ensure all submissions are delivered on time.
- Keep up to date with relevant trade/industry press, highlighting articles of interest to the Partners and proactively work with the PR team on media opportunities, reporting back any coverage to the Partners.
- Contribute to central marketing and business development initiatives, as required.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Degree educated.
- Professional services/legal experience.
- Authoritative, analytical and intelligent.
- Ability to juggle a busy and varied workload, prioritise tasks and meet deadlines.
- Dynamism and great all-round communication skills.
- Determination and commitment to ensure successful completion of projects.
- Creativity and initiative.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong multi-tasking and organisational skills.
- High level of confidentiality, discretion and diplomacy.
- Lateral thinking and the ability to overcome obstacles.
- Sense of humour