Head of Pursuits & Proposals
Who we're looking for Looking for a challenging and varied leadership role developing the capability of a strong proposals team in professional services?
We have a great opportunity at PwC for an experienced and innovative individual to lead the pursuit and proposals capability team. The team provides end to end proposals support including professional bid management and advice, expert proposal coaching, writing and editorial.
You will also work closely with the firm's senior client facing partners whilst managing the National Pursuit Team on major high value pursuits, driving one firm pursuit best practice and supporting tools. As well as being at the front end of our salesforce pipeline developments and conversations.
Needless to say, you’ll have excellent influencing and powerful communication to be able to constructively challenge senior management as well as demonstrate a thorough understanding of the strategic business drivers for PwC. You’ll also need to be a strong leader and team player to work with the team to develop their capabilities as well as those of the practice.
To be credible, you’ll need to be able to demonstrate a strong track record in bid management and coaching.
About the Role Sales & Marketing is a centralised support function and covers all aspects of professional services marketing, sales support and business development. The prime area of focus for the function is to support the development and implementation of the firm’s market strategy and in particular to ensure:
- We innovate every day
- We are inclusive by default
- We deliver commercial impact with purpose
- We tell stories that inspire
In this role, the successful candidate:
Leads the firm’s full national pursuit and proposal capability including bid management and advice, expert coaching, systems and writers to world class standard;
- acts as relationship leader for c.50 individuals
- directly line manages the central capability team (other pursuit and proposal team resources will be aligned to business areas and line managed by the relevant team leader)
- assesses, recruits and moderates performance of the whole team
- prioritises proposals support to business strategy and agreed areas.
Acts as the central point of contact for the notification and pipeline management of all £1m proposals; actively follows up leads by working with the National Pursuit Team(almost 30 senior partners)
- directs the allocation of National Pursuit Partners to ensure the right resources are allocated to the firm’s proposals; acts as a proposals adviser as appropriate.
- ensures relevant proposal feedback and that the output is captured and acted upon.
Provides expert advice on proposal support and drives the development of one firm proposal best practice and supporting tools (people, process, technology and innovations)
- proactively seeks new methodologies and tools and innovates to deliver proposals in different ways
- ensures that the pursuit and proposals support is continuously improved and experience, information and knowledge are shared with the team and across the business
- ensures that the team has in place appropriate tools, mechanisms and processes to be able to deliver the firm’s proposals to agreed budgets.
- Works with other parts of sales and marketing and procurement to manage relationships with external providers (e.g. external coaches, new media, designers and printers) and establishes appropriate contracts to ensure quality and value for money.
Essential skills needed for the role: Graduate calibre with a proven track record in delivering bid management and bid advice for high value pursuits (ideally within a professional services environment).
An expert understanding of pursuit support services with the ability to implement both strategic and tactical initiatives.
Strong knowledge of the Pursuit as well as new and traditional proposals tools; experience of delivering proposals digitally would be an advantage.
- A creative and innovative approach.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong people management and development skills with experience of managing teams.
- Proactive with a positive ‘can do’ approach.
- Self starter and able to effectively lead a ‘virtual team’.
- A sound business understanding as well as being commercially and risk aware.