Corporate Communications and Marketing Executive
About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Where possible and depending on business needs, we will consider all flexible working options such as part-time working, job sharing, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with Gowling WLG you favour flexibility in your working arrangements, please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
Main Purpose of the Job
To manage the development and delivery of the firm's in-house engagement programme (ThinkHouse) with a focus on thought leadership, content activity, member acquisition and associated events management.
ThinkHouse provides a range of seminars and resources, tailored exclusively to help in-house lawyers in their day-to-day roles. Since its launch 14 years ago, we've added ThinkHouse Foundations (for in-house lawyers up to five years PQE), ThinkHouse for Public Service Commissioners and Providers , a regular IT Masterclass and TUPE Club.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Content & Issues
- Stay up to date on, and brief the wider comms and ThinkHouse team on, issues that are or could become important to in house legal teams whether of a legal or commercial nature.
- Use your knowledge of the issues along with horizon scanning to influence thought leadership and content activity and to advise partners and other stakeholders on the focus for ThinkHouse activity
- With the head of corporate communications and the corporate communications and digital managers, develop and implement a programme of activity design to increase the number of ThinkHouse members.
- Deliver first-class events for ThinkHouse in line with business values, current campaigns in place and/or targeted audiences and markets and manage the full process from scoping, researching and planning, execution and follow up including:
- issues identification and scoping and identification and liaison with potential speakers
- preparing invitations and mailing lists and management of administrative tasks relating to events, including pack preparation, formatting of PowerPoint presentations, badges, table plans (for dinners), all on-the-day paperwork, catering, staff and equipment;
- attending rehearsals;
- liaising with communications and business development colleagues to ensure that content is re-used as widely as possible via other communications channels, e.g. PR, thought leadership, website, social media, podcasts;
- liaising with external suppliers (venues, packages);
- reviewing feedback post event, including delegate satisfaction ratings, delegate numbers, financial performance against budget, proposed actions and return on investment; and
- conducting debriefs to evaluate event and discuss overall ROI/objectives achieved
- Maintain understanding of developments within the events field and suggest innovations and improvements to events offering
Where necessary and where capacity allows, you may also be required to support on other Gowling WLG events activity.
Key skills and experience
- Varied communications experience and proven events experience
- Experience of delivering integrated marketing communications activity in a business to business environment (professional services experience would be an advantage)
- An understanding of memberships and acquisition (although direct experience is not required)
- An excellent communicator and able to liaise closely with / advise people at all levels
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to juggle and prioritise numerous tasks
- A self-motivator and positive team player
- A flexible approach
- A good eye for detail
- Ability to work within tight and demanding deadlines
- Retain calm under extreme pressure
- Ideally experience of working with partners / senior executives within a professional services organisation
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.