PR Manager - 12 month FTC
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
Alongside world-class legal careers, Clifford Chance offers excellent opportunities in the support functions that underpin its business operations. By joining us in business services, you will help us to innovate in the way we deliver our services and enable us to run a successful multinational business that never stands still. Business services are integral to the running of the firm and are critical to its success.
PR at Clifford Chance
Our objective is to support the business by positioning Clifford Chance as the global law firm of choice for the world’s leading businesses of today and tomorrow.
The London Press Office handles media communications for all activity in London, both planned and reactive, and provides support and counsel to our global network of offices. As such you will work with lawyers, management, business development professionals, PR colleagues around the world as well as external PR agency executives.
Our work spans the legal, social and cultural life of the firm and our activity includes events, research, press releases, press briefings and story placement.
The post holder will be responsible for raising the profile of certain areas of the firm, including the Global Corporate practice, which encompasses our M&A, Antitrust and Private Equity expertise, and our Real Estate practice. The employee will also advise on media handling for stories relating to the firm's HR function including Graduate Recruitment and Diversity and Inclusion.
- Developing and implementing media relations plans for specific work groups (noted above)
- Working closely with the wider Brand, Communications and Marketing team to disseminate stories to other audiences across appropriate channels
- Tracking the news agenda, researching and developing media contacts and keeping up to date with relevant publications, looking for PR opportunities
- Working closely with Business Development teams, identify content that may be repurposed for media
- Researching and writing press releases, briefings and media updates.
- Advising spokespeople on media handling
- Working with the Heads of PR to defend the reputation of the Firm, helping with issues and crisis management as required
- Supporting the international PR network by sharing content and advising teams on media handling.
- Experience of working in a busy public relations environment, either in a PR agency or in-house, focused on Corporate or B2B communications. Experience of working with professional services clients would be an advantage
- Successful track record of managing high impact PR programmes
- Experience of issues and crisis handling and advising senior stakeholders on media engagement
- Ideally be educated to degree level or equivalent
Skills and knowledge
- A demonstrable enthusiasm and aptitude for media relations, with evidence of good media relationships and delivering results within tier one media targets
- Persuasive oral and written communication – in particular an ability to produce news-friendly copy, as well as longer feature and opinion pieces.
- Adopts a problem-solving approach and takes a new perspective using existing solutions
- Works both independently and collaboratively, with excellent attention to detail
- Plans and advises effectively, in line with business priorities
- Communicates clearly, persuasively and with sensitivity, both orally and in writing
- Understands role in the broader context of the team, the firm and its clients
- Gathers and analyses information and shares the insight gained to bring about good decisions, solutions and action
- Forms strong working relationships with others and uses those relationships to benefit both the group and the firm as a whole.
Closing date: 11th May 2018
Start date: End of June / Beginning of July 2018
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The Firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.