Corporate Communications Manager
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
The Corporate Communications team is responsible for managing and developing the firm's brand and reputation through internal and external communications.
The role is responsible for the firm’s communications tools and providing strategic communications advice to help promote the firm externally to various stakeholders including the media and clients.
The role is required to produce excellent written copy often to tight deadlines, project manage and have excellent client handling skills.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and promote the reputation of the firm and contribute to building the Gowling WLG brand to external and internal audiences
- Provide consultancy and advice to leadership and senior management and support the Head of Communications in all corporate communications, including issues and crises
- Accountable for leading the strategic communications planning for key service streams, including M&A and US Sales, as well as delivery of the firm's corporate communications plan. Be responsible for the development of key messages and key themes for these areas, liaise with stakeholders to agree objectives and relevant activity, manage resources and evaluate and report results
- Accountable for the creative development, planning and management of selected campaigns including the development of agreed objectives, management of resources and evaluation and reporting of results
- With the other Communications Managers, be responsible for the generation of high quality international, national and sector specific proactive and reactive media coverage, ensuring that objectives are met and that Gowling WLG maintains and increases its share of voice compared with competitors
- With the other Communications Managers, ensure each sector has highly trained and proficient spokespeople
- With the other Communications Managers, ensure the production of quality copy for sales collateral and marketing tools, including the web site and directory submissions
- With the other Communications Managers, be responsible for all written content and the consistency of messaging across all other rich content, including audio and visual content
- With the other Communications Managers, manage the content and messaging of all materials being sent to internal or external stakeholders
- Work closely with the Events Manager and Digital Content Manager to ensure an integrated approach to all communications and that all activity is maximised through all channels so that the right information is reaching the right people at the right time
- With the other Communications Managers, be responsible for the delivery and implementation of the firm's internal communications strategy including the firm’s intranet homepage, the annual wallpaper schedule and the development and management of various firm-wide communication channels (e.g. David Fennell's Update, Monthly chatroom, annual firm-wide forums)
- Lead, manage, develop and motivate team members and in doing so ensure the team scores highly on engagement surveys
- Business continuity – In conjunction with facilities, the Head of Communications and the leadership team, be accountable for the communication element of the firm’s Business Continuity Plan
- Deputise for the Head of Corporate Communications, when required
Key skills and experience
- Educated to degree level with a comprehensive understanding of the strategic value of communications
- Substantial experience in communications roles
- Experience of working with a professional services organisation
- Ideally have experience of M&A and US media / marketing firms in the US
- Outstanding writing skills, preferably from a business background
- Self-motivated team player used to working under pressure from multiple clients and delivering excellent client service.
- Calm, diplomatic and persuasive manner – listens and asks questions, and challenges and influences where necessary
- Prioritise workload and manage time to meet commitments
- Strong interest in current affairs and the daily news agenda, keeping abreast of latest developments in communications and public relations
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.